Le Tastevin - 2002 Burgundy - September 13, 2023
Tonight's tasting was hosted by Bob. 2002 in Burgundy saw a severe winter, a cool spring and no hail. Summer was warm, with a dry August followed by a cool September that caused a slightly delayed ripening. Overall, a very good vintage with good color, refreshing acidity, medium-full body wines with plump fruit and ripe tannins. All in all, 2002 is considered a highly successful vintage.
2014 Chablis, Domaine William Fèvre, Grand Cru "Bougros" Côte Bouguerots (Chardonnay)
2011 Château Montus Blanc Sec, Pacherenc du Vic-Bilh (Petit Courbu, Petit Manseng)
Clos de Vougeot, Denis Mugneret & Fils, Grand Cru
Volnay, Les Caillerets, Vielles Vignes, Dominique Laurent Beaune, Premier Cru
Nuit-Saint-Georges, Vielles Vignes, Domaine Michel Magnien
Nuit-Saint-Georges, "Les Poisets", Domaine Robert Arnoux
Pommard, Grand Clos Des Epenots, Domaine de Courcel, Premier Cru
Vincent Girardin, Corton-Renardes, Grand Cru
Domaine Louis Jadot (Domaine des Héritiers), Corton-Pougets, Grand Cru
Domaine Louis Jadot (Domaine des Héritiers), Corton, Grand Cru
Dominique Laurent, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
Domaine Francois Lamarche, La Grande Rue, Grand Cru Monopole
Domaine Ponsot, Clos de Vougeot, Cuvee Vieilles Vignes Grand Cru
Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et fils, Charmes Chambertin, Grand Cru
NV, Château Orignac, Pineau des Charentes (fortified wine (mistelle or vin de liqueur), made from either fresh, unfermented grape juice or a blend of lightly fermented grape must, to which a Cognac eau-de-vie is added and then matured)
Images of Sampled Wines:
1) Total Burgundy production is what percentage of total Bordeaux production: 10%, 20%, 30%, or 40%?
2) Total Burgundy production is what percentage of total French wine production: 1%, 2%, 3%, or 5%?
3) Grand Cru production is what percentage of total Burgundy production: 1.5%, 2.5%, 3.5%, or 5%?
4) White wine Burgundy production is almost twice that of red wine Burgundy production - true or false?
5) In the Côte-d'Or, red wine production is twice that of white wine production - true or false?
6) In 1855, all Burgundy was classified according to what: land, owner, quality or price?
7) There are how many Grand Cru's: 22, 25, 31, 33?
8) The smallest Grand Cru is La Romanee, which is also the smallest French wine appellation (designated wine area). How large is it in acreage: 1, 2, 3 or 4?
9) The most important determinant of quality wine in Burgundy is what: land, vintage, vinification or winemaker?
10) The two with the most Grand Cru's is: Nuites-Saint-George, Chambolle Musigny, Vosne Romanee, or Gevrey Chambertain?
11) The last designated Grand Cru is: La Grand Rue, La Romanee, Lambrays, or Musigny?
12 Wine production in Burgundy was started by the Romans in what century: 1st BC, 1st AD, 2nd AD, or 3rd AD?
Tie Breaker: What town is NOT part of the Côte-de-Nuits: Fixin, Couchay, Macon, Chenove, or Corgoloin?
Anwers are in Burgundy, but also HERE.
Page last updated: September 16, 2023 (EB)
©2023 Le Tastevin wine club
Members: Please contact the webmaster for updates and changes to information contained in this web site.